The hybrid cloud approach is gaining steam, as the revenues of hyperscale cloud service providers like AWS and Microsoft continue to skyrocket. According to the report, AWS’s annualized run rate is $14.6 billion, and Azure’s is up 11% to $6.8 billion.
A new ebook from CoreSite explores what the company sees as a few key reasons to directly connect hybrid cloud solutions.
In the past, businesses have primarily connected to clouds using a virtual private network over the public internet, CoreSite points out.
But the report contends this strategy often doesn’t allow for efficient workload portability and can introduce security, performance, cost and management challenges.
What is a direct connect solution?
The report defines it like this: “Rather than connecting to a cloud provider over the public Internet, direct cloud interconnect allows a company to establish private connectivity between a data center colocation environment and their cloud provider through a cross connect within the same environment.”
To overcome IT challenges, CTOs are rethinking connectivity in concert with their evolving cloud strategy.
“The relationship between enterprises and the cloud is constantly changing,” says CoreSite.
The report explores in detail how hybrid cloud interconnect several potential advantages to connecting over the public internet. The company breaks it down by five key indicators:
- Security: Direct connect works to limit the points of network access.
- Performance:The report found that in a comparison of speed between direct connection and the public internet, the average latency was reduced by 44% with the former.
- Reduced costs: Moving infrastructure off-site can cut costs associated with “aging equipment, limited scalability, the high risk of outages, and the expenses for power and cooling,” the report points out.
- Reliability: Direct connections can be useful in critical industries like healthcare, government, and more, where outages can’t be tolerated, and the goal is 100% uptime.
- Ease of doing business: Coresite explores how although a hybrid cloud strategy can seem complex, in the long run it might simplify day-to-day business for your IT teams.
Get the full report, “5 Reasons to Directly Connect Your Hybrid Cloud Solution,” courtesy of CoreSite.